Saturday, June 15, 2013

For Disney Dad

父の日、おめでとう
Happy Father's Day

This is the first Father's Day without my Papa physically present. Memories of his passing, a year ago August 14th, still tug at me. I know he is with me in spirit, though, and I've felt him in step with me here in Japan.

My dad supported me fully in fulfilling my dream to study abroad in Tokyo.

I remember last summer's two weeks in New Mexico. We were giving the cancer treatment center a chance and clinging onto a hope that my dad would make it.

I remember Dad saying he wanted to go for a walk down the hall for some exercise. I volunteered to go with him and decided to bring up the question that had been pressing on me.

"Dad, what do you think about me going to Japan?"

He didn't pause in his pace. He didn't hesitate to answer.

He simply replied, "I think if it's what you want to do, then you should do it."

I remember then asking the harder question, the one weighing on my heart.

"But what if something happens while I'm away?"

He slowed. "I don't want that to stop you. You should go on living your life."

It's 10 months later and I'm following my dad's wise words.

I hear his hearty chuckle when I pull one of his tourist cards (i.e. marching into a luxurious, club-membership-only gym with shoes still on and waving my student card thinking I had found the university's gym).

I see his nod of approval when I capture the perfect angle for a photo (i.e. ignoring a security guard's warning in order to add a black tuna to my Tsukiji Tuna Auction album).

I feel his adventurous spirit whenever I step outside of my comfort zone and try something new (i.e. modeling in a serious role for my friend's photo shoot).

Through each experience, I've found him. Or rather he's found me.

It should come as no surprise then that as I set out on my two-day Disney excursion Disney Dad was right there with me...

* * *

Last Saturday morning, my friend from Wisconsin, Melinda, and I set out for Tokyo DisneySea ディズニーシー. Through the JR train windows, we could see the gray expanse of water from Tokyo Bay stretching out into the horizon line as we approached Disney territory.

Hopping onto the monorail, we peered through the Mickey cut-out window and recognized the silhouette of Cinderella's Castle situated in Tokyo Disneylandディズニーランド. As the rail came to a stop, we practically skipped off of it. We had reached our day's destination: DisneySea.

Passing under the 30th Anniversary archway, Melinda and I trailed the Japanese crowd and found ourselves in a painted paradise. The seascape echoed the Italian Riviera with vibrant hues from rustic oranges and yellows to powdered pinks. Gondolas and compact cruises drifted along the main Mediterranean Harbor. One of these cruises carried two classic characters, Mickey and Minnie, and their teddy bears, Duffy and Shellie May. Apparently they tried to introduce these teddy bears in the States to no avail. At least Japan caught on!

After the morning's first performance, Melinda and I mapped out our day, pinpointing "must do" rides and places. After getting our first Fastpass for Journey to the Center of the Earth, we made our way around to the colossal castle and its explorer domes. Suckers for a five-minute-wait sign, Melinda and I stood in line for "The Leonardo Challenge." After reassuring the instructors we understood Japanese, we received a map with hidden treasures and then entered a room where Leonardo da Vinci himself (in holographic form) impressed us with his Japanese speaking skills in laying out our quest.

While we understood the majority of the directions, Melinda and I found the first few items but were unable to successfully scan our map for proof. Forced to improvise, we continued our exploration, stumbling upon the explorer society's hall, an astronomy room, Leonardo's flying machine, and the final quest scanner. Suddenly figuring out how to scan our map, we slipped our paper through only to have Leo call us out on our failure to complete his quest properly. "That's too bad"『ざんねんだね』. Stamping our map with the society seal anyways, Melinda and I flashed our first foreigner 外人 card of the day.

Up next, we boarded a water ride with spiraling whirlpools at Port Discovery's Aquatopia. Then ambling to Mermaid Lagoon, we photographed Ariel's sparkling sea palace glistening in the sun, which was just breaking through the clouds. Journeying underneath the surface, a florescent display of lights, kitty rides, and "Under the Sea" tunes overwhelmed our spectator senses. Selecting a clam shaped pulled pork sandwich with mango sauce, fries, and Kirin (Japanese brand) apple tea soda we enjoyed our lunch at this rest spot down under.

Our Fastpass time arrived soon after lunch. We escaped the sun's rays in the cool underground and commented on the neat, industrial special effects of our first roller coaster of the day. The best drop: from the top of the volcano, Mount Prometheus!

Following Journey to the Center of the Earth, Melinda and I ventured to the Arabian Coast, flying on one of Jasmine's Magic Carpets and joining Sinbad on his Storybook Voyage. The blend of Arab culture and Japanese dialogue and songs made for an amusing, multicultural experience. Next, we strolled down the streets of Agrabah Marketplace and Abu's Bazaar, finally caving in to our curry popcorn craving at one of the several stands spread out throughout the park.

As we continued our snacking with Stitch-themed, Ramune-ラムネ-and-strawberry-jelly-filled popsicles, Melinda and I crossed out another "must do" on our list: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Entering our Nautilus inspired submarine, we plunged into the depths surrounding Mysterious Island. The best part: the giant squid assailing us at the end!

Once we regained our land legs, Melinda and I wandered back towards the outskirts of Mediterranean Harbor, finding ourselves in the Venetian Carnival Marketplace. "Ciao!" A Japanese gondolier steered his gondola under a replica Venetian bridge and directed his passengers in a chorus of Italian greetings. Eager to ride one ourselves, we found the line and after twenty minutes or so boarded our ornate, Venetian vessel. Gliding through the DisneySea water, we listened to our gondolier point out aspects of the Italian Riviera and then break into song in his deepest, Italian-esque voice in Japanese.


To conclude our day, Melinda and I road Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Crystal Skull; ate the best shrimp curry at the Casbah Food Court; and watched the tail end of the fireworks show with a light up display of Mickey's wizard hat floating in the harbor.

Crawling into bed that night, I felt my body sigh. What a spectacular day spent soaking up DisneySea. My feet ached. My stomach gurgled. My eyes closed knowing that the next day of Tokyo Disneyland awaited with its own adventures. 

I guess you could say I'm my Disney Dad's daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment